About Me

My photo
Aproved instuctor for N.J. & Pa. for the Retired LEO Programs. Approved instructor for both Florida & Delaware. Retired Deputy Conservation Officer, N. J. Division of Fish & Wildlife, Bureau of Law Enforcement. Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor; Handgun, Shotgun, Patrol Rifle, & Certified Tactical Shooting Instructor, with over 20 years of experience. Certified by N.J.Police Training Commission (D.C.J.), NRA Law Enforcement Division,& NRA Civilian Instructor Division. For information regarding Training Courses, Contact me @ 215 416 0750 or e-mail me @ rotac2@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was going to take my Browning H P to the range and run it through some drills. Well I did and I had a lot of fun shooting it.  I guess it has been about 10 years since I last shot this gun.  Been shooting Glocks since the late 90's.

 Pic #1 shot the Larry Vicker's Drill call the Test.  Starting from the ready position,10 shots in 10 seconds or less from 10 yards. At least 9 have to be in the 5.5" bullseye.  Your allowed 1 miss, but that adds 1 second to your time and to pass you still need to be under 10 seconds.  Shot it in 9.44 seconds, no misses.

Pic#2 Gun and holster.  Gun, Browning High Power single action 9mm pistol with Millett adjustable rear sight, Pachmayr wrap around rubber grip.  This firearm is sometimes referred to as P-35.  It has a 13 round magazine.  It was actually one of if not the first high cap 9mm pistols. Was also once, one of the most highly used pistols around the world.  This firearm like the 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked.

Holster is a Blade Tech strong side belt holster.  This is one of their original holsters.  When they first came out I was a distributor for them.

Pic #3  Gun in the holster.

I started out slow and deliberate with any of the drills that I did that required the gun being presented from the holster.  As I mentioned before this is a single action pistols that is designed to be carried in condition 1 (chamber loaded, hammer locked back thumb safety engaged.  Since I have really not carried this type of pistol in awhile I wanted to get a confident feel for the correct procedures for this pistol, especially for the draw and the recovery to the holster.  A lot different than the Glock stricker fire system in which there is no external safety to take off and put on.  You do not want to re-holster this type of pistol without putting on the thumb safety!

When I first started out I was getting the gun out of the holster and  firing one shot, one hit on a 6" x 12" steel plate target 21' away in 1.70 seconds.  Once I got got comfortable I was able to get down to 1.25 seconds.  I guess not bad for a old guy!

Please read the previous post as Tiger Mckee did a very nice job explaining this pistol!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment