About Me

My photo
Aproved instuctor for N.J. & Pa. for the Retired LEO Programs. Approved instructor for both Florida & Delaware. Retired Deputy Conservation Officer, N. J. Division of Fish & Wildlife, Bureau of Law Enforcement. Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor; Handgun, Shotgun, Patrol Rifle, & Certified Tactical Shooting Instructor, with over 20 years of experience. Certified by N.J.Police Training Commission (D.C.J.), NRA Law Enforcement Division,& NRA Civilian Instructor Division. For information regarding Training Courses, Contact me @ 215 416 0750 or e-mail me @ rotac2@gmail.com

Sunday, October 30, 2016

BFM DRILL

I was out at the range yesterday and I tried a shooting drill that Dave Spaulding posted on FB of Ken Hackathorn demoing the drill which he called the BFM drill.  This drill actually combines three of the most popular drills that shooters should practice.  The targets (IDPA type) are placed 7 yards apart from center to center and the shooting distance is 7 yards.  You load two magazines, one with 8 rounds and the other with at least 7 rounds.  Load the gun with the 8 round magazine.  You start from a holstered position.  On the beep, (timer sound), you draw and progress through the drill.  The first is the Bill Drill, shooting at the center target, 6 rounds placed into the center 8" A zone area. Second, the Fast Drill, shooting at the left side target, 2 rounds to the head box, to a slide lock, reload and 4 rounds to the 8" A zone area. Third, Mozambique Drill, shooting the right side target, 2 rounds to the A zone and 1 round to the head box. You should have shot 15 rounds.  Time limit is 20 seconds which is the lowest passing score, (D) grade and 11 seconds or less being the best, an (A) grade. Any misses add 1 second to your time!

I shot this drill an did it in 12.48 seconds, no misses.   Shot this drill with one of my Glock 19 stock pistols.  Guess that's somewhere between a B & B+.  I took a little more time so that I could get a good feel and rhythm for this drill.  I will take it for the first try!  I will get it down to 11 seconds or less!

This drill is designed to get the shooter thinking while placing well placed accurate shots on the targets.  I will definitely incorporate this drill in my more advanced classes.

Thanks, Dave & Ken!

No comments:

Post a Comment