About Me

My photo
Approved instructor for Retired P. O.& LEOSA .Pa & NJ Approved instructor for NJ CCW. Also approved instructor for the following states non-resident CCW De, Fl, & Md. Retired Deputy Conservation Officer, N. J. Division of Fish & Wildlife, Bureau of Law Enforcement. Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor; Handgun, Shotgun, Patrol Rifle, Certified Tactical Shooting Instructor, & RSO with over 25 years of experience. Certified by N.J.Police Training Commission, NRA Law Enforcement Division,& NRA Civilian Instructor Division. For information regarding Training Courses, Contact me @ 215 416 0750 or e-mail me @ rotac2@gmail.com

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Handgun Combatives….Dave Spaulding

After yesterday's post, I received a number of e-mails asking what drills I regularly practice or what I thought of this drill or that drill. FYI my current column in HANDGUNS Magazine discusses shooter fascination with certain drills. Let me reiterate here...A DRILL IS NOT THE FIGHT! Too many shooters are relating combat competency to particular drills and I think this is dangerous! It is obviously due to no frame of reference as few people have faces death in armed conflict. While I mentioned the 2 Second Drill as a self-evaluation of particular skills I do not practice any particular drill...I PRACTICE SKILLS! To successfully complete any drill, whether it is shooting or open hand combat, the skills in the drill should be practiced...trigger control, drawing from the holster, reloading, presentation from ready...not the drill itself. It does not matter if it is the 2x2x2, the FAST or the El Prez', shooting the drill over and over is a waste of...

No comments:

Post a Comment